First appearing on April 17, 1897, The Devine News was edited and published by George B. Holcombe. Holcombe had published a paper in Kerrville before coming to Devine and went on to publish others at various locations after selling the newspaper in October 1898. W.L. DuBose, a local Baptist preacher and a school teacher, purchased the paper in 1898 and it remains in the DuBose family to this day, 117 years later.
Family members recall W.L. claiming that he traded a brand new horse and buggy for the newspaper, but others say it was purchased for $350.
DuBose remained in the newspaper business until his death in 1953, at which point Mr. and Mrs. Charlie Payne (C.P.) DuBose took over.
Son, Charlie Pat and his wife Kitty DuBose would become third generation publishers, followed by their daughter Kathleen (DuBose) Calame, who currently publishes the Devine News.